Sunday, September 27, 2009

Master Bedroom Roof


Finally, I feel like I am meeting a milestone. I am now putting shingles on the master bedroom and private screen porch roof. It is a reasonably complex roof to shingle with an odd offset, metal valley pans, and 5 skylights to flash around. The weather isn't very predictable at this point either. But it shouldn't be long and the roof in this area will be complete.

The blue stuff in the picture is a new product I am trying out on this roof. It is a synthetic roofing underlayment that replaces the need for 30# roofing felt (a.k.a. tar paper). This particular product is DuPont RoofGuard. It has the advantages of being waterproof, lightweight, longer than tar paper so it goes on quicker, tear resistant, and grippy which is nice for a 6:12 slope roof like this one. One major appeal is that it can stay unprotected on the roof for 4 months. When you move at the pace I do, you need that kind of leeway.


No comments:

Post a Comment